|ABOUT TAKLA FIRST NATION: The traditional territory of the Takla First Nation is located in North Central British Columbia and totals approximately 27,250 square kilometers. The territory is a rich environment of lakes, rivers, forests, and mountains, bordered on the west by the Skeena Mountains and on the east by the Rocky Mountains.Takla Nation is an amalgamation of the North Takla Band and the Fort Connelly Band, a union which occurred in 1959. Our traditional lands are the geographic area occupied by our ancestors for community, social, economic, and spiritual purposes. Carrier and Sekani place names exist for every physical feature and place that we occupy. Each name reflects the significance of the feature or site and today provides us with historical information to the rich history and extensive knowledge of our land and our resources.
POSITION OVERVIEW: Reporting to the Director of Administration and Governance, the Executive Officer is responsible for the effective operation and professionalism of the Chief’s Office, including communications, scheduling, coordination, referrals, and appropriate office and support procedures. The Executive Officer relays matters which require the Chief’s attention, coordinating appropriate levels of collaboration between the Chief, Councilor’s, General Manager – Operations and other staff, Takla members, other Nations, government, and industry representatives.
This position must remain current on all the political files of the Chief and the Nation, to ensure Chief and Council can maximize connections and opportunities for Takla Nation. This includes researching and preparing necessary information for political meetings as directed.
This position requires strong organizational and planning skills, exceptional communications and problem-solving/referral ability, initiative, flexibility, a high degree of human relations skills, and a broad knowledge of both the political and administrative operations of the Nation. The incumbent must display tact, courtesy and political awareness and astuteness always.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide consistent and excellent administrative support to the Chief, manage mail, email, texts, faxes, phone, and other communications to ensure the Chief is informed of emergent issues, schedules, relationship considerations.
- Contribute to Takla Nation’s integrity and image by being knowledgeable about First Nations protocol, government protocol, and the structures and protocols for: Tse Keh Nay (TKN), Carrier Sekani Tribal Council (CSTC), Carrier Sekani First Nations (CSFN), Carrier Sekani Family Services (CSFS), Sasuchan Development Corporation (SDC), the Resource Development Team (RDT) and the Lands Department.
- Provide quick and appropriate responses to enquiries or refer to other departments or agencies as appropriate.
- Establish and maintain positive relationships with internal and external individuals and agencies.
- Refer matters from constituents and other sources, which include those of a politically sensitive and/or controversial nature identifying and triaging priority matters, in collaboration with supervisor.
- Maintain confidentiality and provide confidential support as necessary.
- Attend meetings; record minutes, prepare documents, maintain efficient filing and indexing systems, prepare agendas; plan meetings, workshops, retreats, Annual General Assembly, and other functions; coordinate travel arrangements, reconcile expenses, maintain calendars, research information.
- Draft correspondence as requested on behalf of the Chief.
- Performs records management for the department and ensures security of correspondence, records, and corporate documents.
- Performs purchases, utilizing POs’ and adhering to the finance and purchasing policy.
- Familiar with the Governance Policy for Chief and Council.
- Handle a variety of special assignments independently; balance and manage a substantial workload of projects and initiatives with overlapping priorities and deadlines, and with varying internal pressures.
- Engage in, contribute to, and accomplish the vision and goals of the Nation.
- Promote a positive work atmosphere and communicate in a professional manner that demonstrates mutual respect.
- Performs personnel assistant duties as directed.
- Responds to calls and requests after regular hours.
- Other related duties as directed.
|EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
- Knowledge of First Nations culture and traditions, and of systemic issues faced by First Nations people, and of the political and administrative structures of First Nations.
- Completion of relevant Administration Certificate, with a minimum of two years’ previous executive assistant experience at a similar level, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated commitment to service excellence.
- Demonstrated positive experience and judgement in decision-making and problem solving.
- Proficient in appropriate technological resources including word processing, spreadsheet and database construction and application, e-mail, internet and web-based research.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Proven ability to gather, analyse, integrate, and summarize complex and varied material, and to provide accurate, complete and current information and advice on short notice.
- Demonstrated initiative to stay informed about community and organizational changes, initiatives, and opportunities;
At Takla, we value the dedication of our employees, which is why we give so much in return. In addition to Competitive pay, we also offer the following:
- Comprehensive Health benefits package with Medical, Dental and Vision coverage.
- ·An employer matched the Pension Plan up to 5.5 percent.
- earning and advancement opportunities.
- Group RRSP plan.
- Opportunities for personal and professional training and development
- 18 sick days
- 5 personal days
- $500 Health care spending account per fiscal year.
- Paid time off during Christmas break
Preference will be given to qualified applicants of Indigenous ancestry in any hiring decision as per section 16(1) CHRA. Please declare your indigenous status in your application.
Please send your completed resume to email@example.com.Due to volume of applicants, only qualified chosen candidates will be notified.